Anthony's tweaked RP6 ....

Anthony of Malaysia has upgraded his RP6 with my dual pulley, silicone belts and aluminium adjustable feet recently. 

Hi Michael, 

I installed everything last sunday and the overall performance is up by a clear margin. 

The double pulley improves the timing and rhythm, likely due to improved speed stability

The feet results in lots more detail and opens up the soundstage. Now there is clearly more depth and width compared to previously. However, there was a slightly bright sound overall which I thought would mellow as the belts "run in". 

I had a little problem installing the feet as the cap nut failed. Luckily I was doing it with help from a friend who suggested using two nuts to lock the bolt which allowed the installation of the bolts into the plinth. 

Sand in the rubber feet helps a lot. The background is even quieter

The brightness to the sound went away after I repositioned the double pulley a little lower, allowing the lower belt to come close to the bottom edge of the subplatter. Thanks to your design, repositioning the pulley is easy. 

All in, I think one would have to spend a lot more to buy a ready to use turntable that would outperform my tweaked RP6. 

Best regards 

Thanks Anthony!

Read Users' Comments ( 0 )

Underslung counterweight, dual pulley and silicone belts are the new upgrades for James Anton of North Carolina, USA. Here's his comments:

Hi Michael 

Everything arrived fine and as before your instructions were a big help. I decided to remove the original Rega inner sleeve after doing a dry run. Takes a while but the wd-40 and a pair of pliers with a protective towel do the trick. Balanced it out and now up and running fine. Thanks again for all your help. 

The stainless steel is a much higher quality product. In terms of the sound, I am still listening and sorting out (I also have a new preamp in the system so it might have to wait until I do some A/B with old preamp). 

One question – the Elys 2 seems to be a very light cartridge and I needed to move the new counterweight relative close in. I removed the 9.5g weight as you mentioned. I used the tracking force on the Rega to set at 1.75 and verified with the Shure guage. I wasn’t sure if I should be able to zero out the Rega dial and adjust tracking force purely with the new counterweight but it was getting pretty tight with the tonearm rotation when I tried. This is a bit convoluted so I hope the question makes some sense. 

But everything is working fine and the cumulative effect of changes to the Rega has been significant.


Thanks Jim!

Read Users' Comments ( 0 )

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...